For the last few days I’ve been getting an error when comparing database schemas in Visual Studio using the SQL Server Data Tools:
“Unexpected exception caught during population of source model: Object reference not set to an instance of an object”
Months behind schedule, I have begun preparations for my next exam: 70-487 Developing Microsoft Azure and Web Services. If I pass this one, I’ll be MCSD in Web Applications.
I have had to generate a lot of new files lately, and because I am allergic to repetitive work, I looked for a way to dynamically generate and process files. And for my case, PowerShell scripting comes pretty close to what I needed. Just like a few of my other posts (the best of StackOverflow and Things I always have to Google, I decided it would be a good idea to centralize these scripts and share them with you. Most of these scripts were made for one specific case so they’re not generic – but upon request I’ll try to make these as generic as possible. This is going to be a post that I’ll hope to update on regular occasions, so make sure to pay a visit every now and then if you’re working with PowerShell too.
There are few developers who haven’t used log4net, it’s just one of those essential utilities that every self respecting professional should know of. In this post, I’ll talk about customizing the logging process with custom properties.
Just as in my other post about topics I have to “re-Google” often, this post serves as a catalog of interesting Stack Overflow articles. Because the concept of browser favorites doesn’t work quite well in my world, this blog post does the job of keeping a simple and convenient list very well. To keep things as simple as possible, I have divided the post in categories, comparable to the tags in Stack Overflow.
Every now and then, I have to Google for something that I’ve Googled before numerous times because I forgot. Because this is a time consuming activity, I’ll bundle them all into one post. In other words, this is a post that will be often updated.
For the last couple of weeks I have been working with client-side frameworks such as Kendo UI and Sencha ExtJS a lot. One of the requirements of my clients was server-side filtering, grouping and ordering of several grids and other components. The challenge here is that you don’t know exactly what information might be coming in: which field do you have to filter or sort, which direction, what operator do you have to use, etc. There is only one proper way to do this in C#: Expressions.
Here’s a very simple utility that recursively finds uppercase file extensions and makes those who are lowercase. For once, it’s not written in C# but in good old DOS. If you paste this code in a CMD file, you’ll have a working program. If you execute this cmd, it will take the current folder as the root and it will process all files and subfolders.
Nowadays you would use PowerShell but this is a way to provide a quick fix to your users.
Curious about the possibility of displaying Spotify playlists on my website, I investigated the Spotify Web API. Initially, I thought everything seemed quite easy, but then I got to the authentication and authorization section. As it turned out, it is not that simple but after trial and error, I got what I wanted. Here’s what I did.
In my previous post, I talked about rendering partial views asynchronously. In this post, I will talk about the benefits of this approach by adding more performance improvement measures.
In this series, I will cover some techniques that are easy to implement that will improve the performance of a web site. In this post, I will talk about asynchronous partial views.